Monday, September 23, 2013

Race to my first haircut 2013!


As I wake up from my chemo coma, it is finally REALLY starting to kick in.  I am done with chemo!  Holy crap!  I am done with chemo!

Now, as I mentioned in my last post I still have a long journey of treatment ahead, but I also have a lot to be thankful for....like....I am done with chemo!!! 

Additionally, as trivial as it may sound, I am really looking forward to my hair growing back. Not only do I look a heck of a lot cuter with a head full of hair, but with the weather changing, it is just plain cold!  

Here is what I remember regarding hair growth from my first round of chemo in 2011:

My head hair started falling out about 2.5 weeks after my first chemo infusion.  The rest of the hair on my body eventually disappeared as well-although i managed to salvage some eyelashes and eyebrows.  This time around, my head hair once again started falling out about 2.5 weeks after my first chemo infusion.

Even though it appears as though I still have a good amount of hair, it was falling out in chunks.  
So we shaved.  Much less traumatic than waking up to a pillow full of hair and finding hair in my food!


The rest of the hair on my body has thinned but overall has been a bit more stubborn.  I still have quite a bit of arm hair and leg shaving is still required at least once weekly!  Annoying!

Back in 2011, if I recall correctly, my hair started to fill in a bit at about 6 weeks after my last chemo treatment.  At 8 weeks I had a super, duper short buzz and from there my buzz kept getting longer.  It took almost two years to have a solid ponytail.


I finally had my coveted ponytail when I was diagnosed with my recurrence and here I am, September 2013, back at square one.  

Regardless, even though waiting for hair to grow is more boring that watching paint dry, I'm pretty excited about it.  So each week I will document my minuscule hair growth here.  That is....until I too get bored with it:)  

Without further ado, here is where I'm at September 23, 2013:

Ironically, today, while waiting for acupuncture, the theme song to Top Gun came on.  I felt pretty bad-ass with my aviators.  But, I digress...


Let's see how fast that fuzz grows!  You can follow my hair journey here!  

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Hair! Something you take for granted until it is gone. Countdown is on!

    ReplyDelete