Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Week Two

I realize that I haven't posted in a while. The truth is, once chemo started my life got a lot less (medically) busy. In fact, I have only been to see a doctor once in the past two weeks! Amazing.

I am happy to report that most of my chemo side effects have resolved and I am able to carry on with life as usual. Not exactly my 'usual' life of racing and training, but life is moving forward.

Spring break is over and I am back to work this week. I have to be especially careful though because even though I feel fine my immunity is at its lowest point right now. It is nice to have some normalcy back in my life, and to feel good enough to be able to enjoy it. I am going to take a moment to brag about my job. I am an occupational therapist and work in one of Salt Lake City's school districts. Many of the students I work with have fine-motor delays and I often develop programs to help remediate their skills. Over the winter, many of my students crocheted hats as part of their fine-motor program. Mind you, I have no idea how to crochet, but fortunately my aide does:) This spring, my kiddos crocheted two beautiful hats for me. They are all so proud and the hats are absolutely perfect! Like I said. Awesome job. Awesome co-workers. Awesome kids.

I also appear to be completely healed from my mastectomy and am pretty much able to do whatever I want physically. I am continuing to stretch daily and am doing some light upper extremity weights to help maintain strength. I seriously doubt that I will be able to gain muscle during chemotherapy so I will focus more on making gains later this summer. The rest of the time I try to spend biking. The odd, pulsating low back pain seems to have (mostly) resolved and my tachycardia is also improving although not yet normal.

Right now, the most annoying thing is my skin. It is sensitive, yet oily and my normal skin products don't seem to be working. It is kind of like going through adolescence once again. I also have to be really careful in the sun, although recently in Utah that has not been a concern. I'm not sure if Spring will ever arrive.

At this point, I still have a full head of hair and my short hair keeps growing. It is really out of control and I need another haircut, but I'm sure the chemo will take care of that any day now......

As for the rest of the week, I think the sun may actually venture out so I plan on taking full advantage before I hit the (chemo) chair again next week.

1.5 weeks down, 10.5 to go

2 comments:

  1. Less doctor appointments is definitely a bonus! Glad to hear you are feeling better, now back to "normal" life! :)

    ReplyDelete