Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Public Service Announcement #1

I want every single person (men too if you want:) who reads this to do a breast self-exam tonight.

That is how I found my cancer. My cancer did not show up on mammogram and mammograms are not even recommended for women my age. I found it and I pursued it. I still do not have a clear picture of treatment and prognosis (still waiting on more diagnostics), but I do know that it would have been much, much worse had I not found this now.

This can happen to anyone. To emphasize this point even more.....I have a good friend who told me that she has 3 friends, all under the age of 40, who have been diagnosed with breast cancer in the past two months.

Do your self exam. Now.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen,
    I just heard through Sue Fleck. I don't think I know anyone as fit you, and that's a great way to go into this. The whole Maziarz clan is hoping and praying for you. And thanks for sharing this. I know you didn't even like getting your picture taken for the calendar a few years ago, so I'm sure this wasn't easy. You'll do great!
    mark maziarz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen-
    I'm sorry you have to go through this. We'll be praying for you from down here. And I am now committed to monthly exams, seriously.
    Lots of love,
    Erica

    ReplyDelete