Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pinch me

The past few weeks I have spent a tremendous amount of time crossing off my summer bucket list of high mountain rides.  I frequently felt the need to pinch myself that these pristine, majestic mountains are right in my backyard and sometimes, on weekdays,  I felt like I had them all to myself.  Well, the bucket list is complete which can mean only one thing:

It is time to start chemo.

So, today, after a trail run with Dizzy, a solid core workout, and a brief mountain bike ride over to Huntsman I started chemo.  The good news is that up until today I have been feeling awesome.  110%.  Ready to rip!



The bad news is that chemo changes everything.  Although it was a long day at Huntsman-almost six hours!-the day was for the most part uneventful. 




                                The new infusion room at Huntsman is very nice

       
                                          There is even a private TV with DVD player!

                                  

After almost a hour of being pre-medicated with IV anti nausea meds, we were ready to start the infusion.  Epirubicin and 5FU were pushed in while Cytoxan was a slow drip.  As you can see the Epirubicin is bright red in color and they weren't kidding when they said I would be peeing red!  

Can you tell from the photo that I am NOT super psyched to be going through this again! Now I feel like I need to be pinched that my life went from...well, just about perfect....to this.  Dejavu for sure, but hopefully we will once again return to the life we want to live.  

Last night, when we returned home Shannon cooked up one of my favorite dishes-coconut curry with cauliflower, broccoli, onions, and spices served over kale and spinach. It was delicious, but probably not the best post-chemo choice.  I spent most of the night uncomfortable, tossing and turning, with an upset stomach.  I have been diligent with the anti-nausea meds and it seems to have resolved at the moment.  In the meantime, I think I will play it safe with some 7 grain sprouted toast. 

My plan today is to get out at least once for about an hour. I have some errands to run and it seems like the perfect day to ride my townie!  


Well, Treatment 1, Day 1 is underway. Here we go......


3 comments: