Friday, July 12, 2013

Nutrition: Taking it up a notch

Those who follow my blog know that I take my nutrition pretty seriously.  Those who know me on a personal level, see on a routine basis the choices I make to best support my health.  I believe in the power of food.  After all it is ingested just like medicine, but without all of the nasty side effects.  I will gladly change my diet in order to support my health and reduce the medications I may need to take today and in the future.  Really, to me, it seems like such a small sacrifice for health.

Even though I have read numerous books, researched online endlessly, participated in seminars, and become quite knowledgable regarding the anti-cancer diet, I am NOT a nutritionist and certainly NOT an expert!  Just like I have hired a cycling coach to optimize race performance, I decided it was time to bring in a nutritional expert.  Not just any nutritionist would do.  I wanted an expert in oncological nutrition.  Through my research, I had heard of Jeanne Wallace and her Nutritional Solutions practice.  When two people suggested I look into her program over the course of a week, I decided it was time to investigate further.  What immediately attracted me to her program was her goal of working collaboratively with my medical treatment.  Unlike many "alternative" practitioners, she is not against traditional medical treatment, chemotherapy and radiation.  Her goal is to complement and maximize medical treatment while supporting a healthy environment within the body.  It seemed like a perfect fit.

So, in order to take a little pressure off myself in trying to become an oncological nutrition expert, let alone the immense amount of time and energy my research was consuming when I would rather be out riding my bike, I have started working with the Nutritional Solutions group.  So far, my expectations have been exceeded!  I have been provided a 100-page packet on Dietary, Nutritional & Botanical Support for Breast Cancer (of which I have proudly read in its entirety!), packets on Nutritional & Botanical support to complement chemotherapy and radiation, handouts on agents that interfere with, boost efficacy, and reduce side effects for each of my chemotherapy drugs (did you know that Shallots are contraindicated with Epirubicin???) and two telephone consults to come up with a customized nutritional plan to complement my medical treatment.  Thus far, I have been highly impressed with the team's professionalism, knowledge, thoroughness, and genuine concern for my well-being.  I am confident in their recommendations, as they use research to guide their practice, and phew, it takes a lot of pressure off me!

Their plan focuses on six areas: reducing inflammation, boosting the immune system, apoptosis & differentiation, anti-angiogenesis, impeding metastasis, and hormone modulation.  Perhaps someday I will write in more detail about our nutritional approach, but in the meantime,  since I have a little bit of extra time thanks to the super smart folks at Nutritional Solutions, I think I will go ride my bike!

I have just about completed my summer bucket list of high mountain rides

These old mines scatter the Park City mountains

Another day, another beautiful view.  
Seriously, I need to pinch myself.  I can't believe I live here and ride these mountains everyday!



8 comments:

  1. How did you pull your red blood cells/hemoglobin up after your first round of chemo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing you are comparing my labs from after my first infusion to later infusions. We know that it takes 60-90 days for RBCs to replenish, however mine dropped after the initial infusion and then climbed back up to low average in just a few weeks. Doesn't really make sense! I asked my oncologist about this and she didn't have a good explanation except perhaps my body was a bit shocked by the first infusion or perhaps I was more hydrated. But, this time around there are two things that I will be doing to support RBCs 1-Whey protein supplement (make sure it is high quality, low sugar). Whey protein is a really good support while undergoing chemo/radiation, however after treatment I will switch to a different protein supplement (because I am hormone receptor positive breast cancer) and will be avoiding animal products. However, during treatment, the benefits of using whey outweigh the risks. 2-Chorella supplement. Sun Chorella makes a quality supplement that supports RBCs. Hope this helps! Good luck! Jen.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Thanks. I'm on number 4 of 6 THC treatments. My hemoglobin went up a little this time! I've been trying to consume ALOT of protein and all the good vegetables and fruits. I'm not back at twelve yet but at 11.7. Getting closer and hope it keeps creeping up. I'm still working out though not with as heavy weight as I used to. But still working (firefighter) which has been awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice to be active in sports always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for useful post, Jen Hanks I appreciate nice to be active in sports. I consume a lot of fiber, protein foods and vegetables to be healthy. I regularly like to do exercise cycling, gym, swimming. But now days children’s are addicted to social networking sites they are not spending time at outside for playing. At least regularly if they participate in some sports they can be fit personally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing such valuable information. Generally the people who are skipping diet and exercises are facing colon problems. Most of the people suffer due to not consuming much fiber in their diet. Fiber can easily pass through the body with taking toxins out of the colon. If we increase fiber and water intake we can reduce colon issues like bloating, fatigue, constipation. Exercises also helpful. We no need to work hard, by walking, jogging, cycling we can avoid these problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Daisay Rose.... I do agree with you. High fiber intake and plenty amounts of water can reduce the constipation problems. When anyone is facing constipation problems should increase dietary fiber intake, getting sufficient amount of fiber makes stool softer and bulkier so it is easy to expel. A normal person needs to consume 25-30 grams of fiber levels to get relief from constipation. Fresh fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains are best sources to get rid of constipation. Avoid dairy foods and meets for a while, these foods are worsening your constipation.
      Whole grains also plays a vital role in getting rid of constipation problems.

      Delete